Sunday, November 2, 2014

We love because He first loved us

I recently have seen a blog post going around about why you should marry young. The points that the author made were valid and I agreed with most of what he said. However, I wanted to add some insight from my point of view. I am starting to reach my upper 20's and I have never been in a relationship. I'm sure that there will be many of you who will think that it is because I am terrified of being in a relationship or will make fun of me. Say what you may about me, but I do desire to be married and to be a mother one day. However, I have learned from the relationships I saw growing up. I saw marriages that I don't want to follow by example. I know that sounds harsh. But they were marriages that were not God glorifying, they were self-seeking. My greatest desire is to have a God honoring relationship, one that God is glorified in. I want a marriage that God is the center. A marriage that we run with one another, the race towards the "goal" that God has before us. I want to be a godly woman, who brings honor and glory to her husband. 

So you see, I could just marry for the sake of marrying or to meet the "deadline" of marrying young. If I did that I would be not in God's will for me. I would have missed this time of refining that my Lord has been doing to me throughout my 20's (and into whatever age I am when I marry). I'm not saying, that marrying young is wrong. If that is what God leads you to do. However, if it is man leading you and not God... then I think that is when you have to look at your motive. If like me and God is leading you through a period of singleness, it is for our good. He is growing and shaping us into the men and women we were created to be. Each relationship can be a beautiful example of Christ's love for His church. Not self-seeking, one of serving, honoring, loving, laying ones self down for the other. Jesus, could have walked away from the cross and left us in our sin. He being love, bore our sin and shame laying His life as a ransom for us. He honored and fulfilled the covenant that was made to Abraham. Making a new covenant, one of life and forgiveness. He gave His life freely for us and after three days He defeated death by raising from the dead. With His love flowing through us (if we are believers) we are able to love well, because we are loved well. We love because He first LOVED us! I want to be able to say that I love the Lord, more than I love my husband and I want to know that my husband loves the Lord more than me.

I am called to seek Him above all else, even above my desire to be married and to be a help meet to my husband one day. Even though I am not married. I can love those around me well and to allow the love of Jesus to pour from my life. I want Him to be reflected in whatever season I find myself in. So while I am wait for the seasons that will come, I am going to pursue a deeper relationship with the Lord. If I do in my waiting, heartache, pain, and joy He will receive the glory of a life transformed by His great love. 

-Stormy

No comments: