Is being in a season of singleness wrong? Often, I feel like I am doing something wrong because of the remarks I get. Here are some that have come up in the last year (more than once). I have had people tell me that the reason that I am not married is because I wear my purity ring. I hear from other people that I am not married because I am too independent for someone to want to marry me. I also have got if you would lose a few pounds you would be even more beautiful and I am sure you would get married then. Those words of advice often hurt me. I know that they say these things trying to help or make me feel better. Yet, God is much bigger than any of it and my convictions still stand.
You may wonder how do I get through the lonely moments and the remarks. Honestly, if it weren't for God's word and the amazing Christian family He has blessed me with I would be depressed. I would be depressed because I would feel like I would never measure up to the standards the world has placed before me. Maybe, I would have settled and would have gotten married a long time ago. I thank the LORD for His hand that has been upon me from the time I was young. He placed within me a conviction for what my "love story" would look like. One of me waiting, trusting, and relying on Him while He refined me.
I don't share the remarks above for sympathy or attention. However, I know that there are other women who have heard the same things (or something similar). I want you to know that you are not alone in your singleness. God has you there for such a time and for your good. Don't push through it or settle for just anyone. It is finding that trust and reliance on God. He I believe will make it clear when the time is right. I seek Him and His face daily for any of life's unanswered questions. Sometimes, He answers quickly and others not. It is important to remember it is in His timing and not ours.
I have been asked by some young single ladies what I do to help keep my eyes on the Lord and not going "boy crazy". I would like to take some time to answer:
* I spend time in God's word and in prayer. I find that this is important, if I neglect this relationship then I have a harder time taking my thoughts captive and resting in His promises. It is harder I believe because I am not reminding myself of His goodness and faithfulness. I want to nourish my soul with the words of life. I want my love and relationship with my LORD to come before all else.
* I do what I can to serve the local and distant body of Christ. We are all of one body and Jesus is our head. When I serve, my eyes are off of me and on someone else. I want to come alongside those in my family of Christ and encourage them. Really, I am just running the race set before me and coming alongside those who are running their race.
* I work and enjoy the people I work with (this is where the remark of me being independent would come in). I love working with children and watching them grow. I find it rewarding to be able to pour into the lives of the children that the parent's have trusted me with. Yes, I work and yes I pay my bills because I need to. It isn't my way of doing away with the traditional view of the woman staying in the home. It really is quite the opposite, I want to be the woman who is a housewife and stay at home mama. Yet, that season has not come for me. I work in the place God has blessed me with and I still get to pour into the lives of children. My heart often overflows with joy. It isn't always the easiest job and someday's I am tired. I believe, God is preparing me for the future so I know just some of the things that I will face.
* I enjoy spending time with my family and friends. I love laughing and just spending time with them. Notes and especially hand written notes mean the most to me. So I often, write notes of encouragement, thankfulness, or just thinking of you. I truly enjoy encouraging others and letting them know that I care. I would do it more if I had the time. (Once again, eyes are off of me and on someone else)
* When I am feeling lonely or I have my future husband on my heart I take time to pray for him. Truly, pray: I have also started a journal that I write some of my prayers and thoughts in (pictured above). It is my way of keeping my thoughts in check and turning it into prayer for my beloved. Then one day when God wills: I will be able to give the journal to my husband. It is my way of pouring into the relationship even before it has started. I may or may not have met the man whom God has for me. I don't know who he is or when God will cross our paths. The one thing that I do know is that during this time of singleness: I can pray for my future beloved, all the while serving the LORD where He has me. To find my contentment in the LORD and seek Him in all things.
Those are the most important ways that I handle the lonely or hurtful moments in my season of singleness. I hope and pray that God will use this post to speak to the hearts of those who may be hurting right now. Know that you are beautiful and that in your singleness you can do amazing things for God's glory. Don't look at this time as a punishment, instead remember God has you here for just a time as this. Maybe, through your singleness right now you are being a great example to someone younger. You never know the impact that your life may be having for His kingdom. I believe, the most important thing one can do is to be God honoring in their actions and words. I pray that my life is that, God honoring. May God Bless You and Keep you.
-Stormy


No comments:
Post a Comment