Thursday, January 10, 2013

Learning To Be Still

I know it has been quite a while since my last post. My desire to write was gone and my family was facing some pretty hard times. Even through I had some heart ache, disappointment, frustration, and days of tears this last year. I was NEVER alone. This is something that I had to remind myself of or be reminded by many who love me. My Lord NEVER left me to fight my own battle. I was just flipping though one of my Bibles that I used while in college last night. Right in the front of the Bible I had written a verse that I needed to be reminded of at that time in my life. The verse was: 

"The Lord will fight for you; you need only to be still." -Exodus 14:14 (NIV)  

Funny thing is that I needed it then and I still need that verse as a reminder. I decided to look it up in the ESV version and this it what it says:

"The LORD will fight for you, and you have only to be silent.” -Exodus 14:14 (ESV)

Reading this verse it really made wonder back to all of the times that I did my own fighting. While all the long the Lord was there and willing to fight for me... and all I had to do was be still. When you are still and you're not the one fighting you are putting a whole lot of trust in the one who is doing the fighting. Thinking back, many times I didn't want to give up the control. In the process of doing my own fighting and trying to keep hold of my control I got hurt. Not by my Lord but by my own pride and doing. I was entrapped deeper and harder than when I started. The only true freedom I found was when I was still and then something amazing happened. My walls and chains were shattered all by the voice and power of my Lord. 

There are still times when the Lord is telling me to be still or silent and that He will be the one to fight for me. However, I look at Him and say: "Oh, I got this all under control." There is that word again C-O-N-T-R-O-L. I am still being refined when it comes to my want for control of situations and my life. My life isn't my own, it is His who bought it with the price of His blood that He shed for me on the cross. I need to spend more time being still and silent, than always wanting to be on the go and talking. Because in my busyness and talking I miss the voice of the One I love so dearly. I miss His instructions and His leading. I don't want to live apart from Him and His desire for me. So no matter how painful the refining gets I know it is for my good. 

I am loved by the maker of the heavens and the earth. He calls me His beloved and in His word He speaks His truths and love for me. I have found that through this season of my life that I have been brought to a place of a deeper desire to dig into His word and to see the truths in front of me. I want the truth to consume the lies that I have rooted themselves deeply into my mind. Through the refiners fire one day they all will be gone. But until then I need to keep trusting and looking to the one who loves me enough to die for me. It's a step by step, moment by moment thing. Here is to this new year of God leading and me learning to let go, be still, and allow Him to be the one in control. 

I am going to leave you with two quotes from Beth Moore:
  • “Even if the steering wheel fits, you don't have to keep gripping it.”
  • “If Jesus gives us a task or assigns us to a difficult season, every ounce of our experience is meant for our instruction and completion if only we'll let Him finish the work. I fear, however, that we are so attention-deficit that we settle for bearable when beauty is just around the corner.”
Abba Father,
Please help me not to just settle in this life that you have given me. I want to reach the beauty and place you have for me. Help me not to grab a hold of the steering wheel to take back the control. Lord, you are the one I want to lead me. I have tried doing things my own way and it never turns out well. I end up hurt, broken, or just plain-out lost. I don't want to miss the story you have for me. A story where I am not the lead but you are. Where I am just apart of your bigger story and not in my own little self-made story line. You alone are the one who knows what tomorrow will bring and I will trust you. Whatever the enemy intends for evil, you my Lord intend it for my good. Thank you for you word and the life it speaks and the strength it gives me. I am blessed because of you. I love you too, Lord.   

In the precious name of Jesus,
-Amen 

Whoever just read this remember this: "I love you, but more importantly Jesus loves you."

-Stormy

No comments: