Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Mirror


There is a song by Barlowgirl called "Mirror". This song has spoke to me in many different ways. So often I found/find that I compare myself to other girls around me. When I do this I find myself feeling like I am not good enough, nor pretty enough. I would rely on the mirror to base my value off of. However, this led me down the path of self hate and I could not accept when someone would tell me that I was beautiful. Because, for so long I had compared myself to others I saw in the magazines, the TV, or just other girls around me. I had told myself for SO long that I wasn't beautiful that what I started seeing in the mirror was a "monster". I would try to avoid the mirror or not look in surfaces that would show my reflection. I believed the lies that were being whispered to me. I went on believing that all the lies I had heard or told myself over the years were the truth. Then one day, God spoke through the darkness of self hate. He told me: "I love you my beloved, I do not make junk. I have made you just the way you are, you are beautiful in my sight." And then I heard the song mirror by Barlowgirl and it brought me to my knees. For through the eyes of the world I may not have the beauty that they look for. But in my LORD I have beauty beyond all comparison. He has been showing me over the past three years the beauty that was within me all this time. The beauty that I would not allow myself to see. Through my God's word (the Bible) and just calling upon the name of my Lord. I have felt the chains fall! There are still times that I find myself believing the lies being whispered to me... I am now able to discern that they are lies and I am loved by the best my God. I don't need the worlds approval to make me beautiful, I already am because my God created me within my mothers womb. He has had a part of every part of my life... therefore I am beautiful. The mirror is not what defines me and it does not define you either. God the great I AM is who what defines me! We don't have to follow the way of the world... what GREAT news is this!

Here is a verse that God has given me time and time again:

Psalm 139

Search Me, O God, and Know My Heart
To the choirmaster. A Psalm of David.
1 O LORD, you have searched me and known me!
2
You know when I sit down and when I rise up;
you discern my thoughts from afar.
3 You search out my path and my lying down
and are acquainted with all my ways.
4 Even before a word is on my tongue,
behold, O LORD, you know it altogether.
5 You hem me in, behind and before,
and lay your hand upon me.
6 Such knowledge is too wonderful for me;
it is high; I cannot attain it.

7 Where shall I go from your Spirit?
Or where shall I flee from your presence?
8 If I ascend to heaven, you are there!
If I make my bed in Sheol, you are there!
9 If I take the wings of the morning
and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea,
10 even there your hand shall lead me,
and your right hand shall hold me.
11 If I say, "Surely the darkness shall cover me,
and the light about me be night,"
12 even the darkness is not dark to you;
the night is bright as the day,
for darkness is as light with you.

13 For you formed my inward parts;
you knitted me together in my mother’s womb.
14 I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made.
Wonderful are your works;
my soul knows it very well.
15 My frame was not hidden from you,when I was being made in secret,
intricately woven in the depths of the earth.
16 Your eyes saw my unformed substance;in your book were written, every one of them,
the days that were formed for me,
when as yet there was none of them.

17 How precious to me are your thoughts, O God!
How vast is the sum of them!
18 If I would count them, they are more than the sand.
I awake, and I am still with you.

19 Oh that you would slay the wicked, O God!
O men of blood, depart from me!
20 They speak against you with malicious intent;
your enemies take your name in vain!
21 Do I not hate those who hate you, O LORD?
And do I not loathe those who rise up against you?
22 I hate them with complete hatred;
I count them my enemies.

23 Search me, O God, and know my heart!
Try me and know my thoughts!
24 And see if there be any grievous way in me,
and lead me in the way everlasting!

I would like to now share the song that God used SO many times to speak "You are beautiful my beloved." I am His beloved! Remember to take ever thought captive and make if fully obedient to God.





No comments: